Planning a Stress-Free Move to Pittsburgh, PA
Let's face it—moving to a brand-new home is exciting, but it can also be a pretty stressful experience! If you want to save yourself some headaches come moving day, it's crucial to start planning as far in advance as possible.
Need a little help navigating the ins and outs of your next move? Here are a few tips that can help you get started.
Before You Move
Don't wait until the last minute to pack everything away! Here's how you can begin the planning process before your home is even on he market.
Organize & declutter
Want to lighten the load before moving day? Work room by room and begin sorting your belongings into "keep," "donate," and "throw away" piles. It may also be worth investing in a storage unit or hosting a garage sale for some extra cash. The less stuff you have, the less you'll have to pack later on!
Make a plan
It's crucial to determine how you'll be moving as far in advance as possible. Will you be renting your own moving truck or using a storage unit? Do you plan on working with a professional moving company? Where will you purchase your moving supplies? Be sure to do your research and get multiple estimates before making any decisions.
Change your address
It can take the post office a few weeks to process a change of address and begin forwarding your mail, so put in your request at least two weeks before your move. You'll also want to notify your loved ones and any service providers—like banks or doctors—of your new address. Don't forget to set up utilities ahead of time, too!
Handy Packing Tips
- Reinforce: Only use sturdy, reinforced boxes. Bubble and plastic wrap can add extra protection for more fragile items.
- Innovate: Don't be afraid to get creative with your packing! Unused luggage or suitcases work just as well as a conventional box. Linens, towels, and other soft items make great padding, too.
- Pack small: Pack heavier items in smaller boxes so they're easier to carry.
- Prevent leaks: Remove the tops of your soaps, shampoos, and lotions and cover them with plastic wrap, then twist the caps back on. Wrapping your furniture with plastic wrap will also prevent any damage.
- Prepare: Put together an "open me first" box containing all of your essentials, like cleaning supplies, tools, a first-aid kit, toilet paper, and anything else you might need on moving day. Make sure this box doesn't go on the truck!
- Label everything: Label all of your boxes by room so you'll know where they should go in your new home. If you want to go above and beyond, you can even color code each box based on its contents.
On Moving Day
The big day has finally arrived! Here are a few tips that will keep you sane as your make the transition to your new home.
Keep important information
Any must-have essentials—like medication, financial and medical records, IDs, or other high-value items—should never go on the moving truck. It's best to keep them with you at all times.
Pack an overnight bag
In some cases, you might not be able to move into your home right away...or you could make it to your new place before the moving truck. That's why it's always a good idea to pack an overnight bag with toiletries, a change of clothes, and a phone charger.
Keep important contacts
Make sure you have important contacts stored in your phone before moving day. If you're using professional movers or renting a truck, keep any paperwork with you at all times in case you have any questions.
After You Move
Now that you've made it to your new place, it's time to start cleaning, unpacking, and turning your house into a home.
It's much easier to clean when your home isn't crowded with all your stuff. If you don't have the time (or energy!) to do a thorough scrub-down, consider hiring a professional cleaning service to come in before you start unpacking.
Unpack by room
It's easy to feel overwhelmed when you're surrounded by a mountain of boxes! Unpack room by room, starting with your most-used spaces (like kitchens, bedrooms, and bathrooms). This makes the process much more manageable.
Don't forget to kick back and take some time for yourself as you unpack. You've finally made it to your new home—congratulations!
Let's Conquer Your Next Move!
Thinking about making a move to Pittsburgh? We'd love to help! Contact Gayle Blonar today to jumpstart your home search—we have plenty of resources to guide you in the right direction.
Need to sell before you buy? We can certainly help with that, too!